Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My girl

                        I peeped out of the window with curiosity to see whether she is somewhere near the gate or so. The clock on the old classroom wall ticked 11 am. She was never this late. An anxiety disseminated within me which made me think that some plight befell her.
                        I remember the day I saw her for the first time; approaching the school gate with a beaming smile on her face. She had an alluring beauty made perfect not to mention her pretty long face, long thick hair, big eyes and a tall thin frame. She introduced herself as the cook of the school. I knew right from the moment I met her that she would be a close friend even though she was quite younger to me. I used to refer to her as my girl when I talked about her to others.  Days and months passed by and she revealed that she is forced to be engage in flesh trade by her own loved ones.  Her eyes burned with the desire to break free of all those bondages and fly off to be a free bird. Her eyes glistened when she talked about the man she loved and who loved her back. She told me that she would abscond with him some day leaving back all the conundrum. 
                       I woke up from my thoughts to the yelling outside the classroom.. A large group of villagers where standing in a circle under the banyan tree. They seemed to be looking down at something. My heart pounded fast. Somehow a picture of my friend lying down lifeless on the ground came to my mind. I ran to the crowd and pushed through it praying that it wouldn't be anything like I anticipated. I crossed my fingers, looked down and to my dismay saw her body lying still clothed in her favourite salwar. Her last rites were performed on the same day. I wondered whether to shed tears or to smile for what fate brought her.

                      

1 comment:

  1. This is a memorable essay. Evil often wears the clothing of hypocrisy.

    ReplyDelete